Tools & Resources
Long-Range Data Preservation Plan
Sample format and elements of a Long-Range Data-Preservation Plan (January 2013, PDF]
AASG/USGS Geoscience Data Preservation Techniques Workshop
The AASG/USGS Geoscience Data Preservation Techniques Workshop proceedings.
The workshop brought together for the first time 50 geoscience data preservation specialists from state and federal geological surveys, and it provided a venue for the participants to share best management practices of sample and data preservation, cataloging, and accessibility. The Proceedings volume consists of the workshop agenda, abstracts and pdfs of the oral and poster presentations, a list of attendees, and a photo album of the two days' events. The Proceedings have been issued as Indiana Geological Survey Open-File Series 09-13.
Further Resources / Background
- Showstack, R., 2014, Geological Data Preservation Program Receives Bipartisan Support: Eos, vol. 95, no. 39, pp. 350-351.
- Steinmetz, John C. and Dickinson, Tamara L., 2007, Data Preservation: Old Samples Produce New Knowledge: American Geological Institute Geotimes, vol. 52, no. 3, p. 7.
- Association of American State Geologists, 2007, Data Preservation: Association of American State Geologists Position Paper
- American Geological Institute, 2003, Implementation and Operation of the Repository, submitted to the Office of Fossil Energy, U.S. Department of Energy, 42 p.
- Office of Management and Budget, 2002, Coordination of Geographic Information and Related Spatial Data Activities: Office of Management and Budget Circular No. A-16 Revised
- National Research Council, 2002, Geoscience Data and Collections—National Resources in Peril: Washington, D.C., National Academies Press, 107 p.
- American Geological Institute,1998, National Geosciences Data Repository System Phase II; Final Report, January 30, 1995 to January 28, 1997: Performed Under Grant No. DE-FG22-95BC14833, Submitted to the Office of Fossil Energy, U.S. Department of Energy, 119 p.