Tools & Resources
Preservation Techniques Webinars
Preservation Techniques Webinars are conducted bi-monthly to promote interaction and community-building among data preservationists in state geological surveys, USGS, and other organizations. Webinars are announced in News section of the Home page and available HERE.
2017 AASG/USGS Data Rescue and Preservation Workshop
The National Geological and Geophysical Data Preservation Program (NGGDPP), in collaboration with the Association of American State Geologists, conducted a data management workshop to share information, provide training opportunities, and learn from successful efforts rescuing, preserving, and disseminating information about geoscientific data and artifacts to further earth science investigations. The workshop occurred September 26-28, 2017, and was hosted by the Utah Geological Survey in Salt Lake City. Over 60 representatives from state geological surveys, museums, and USGS and other federal agencies attended the workshop. Access workshop content.
2009 AASG/USGS Geoscience Data Preservation Techniques Workshop
In 2009, AASG/USGS coordinated the Geoscience Data Preservation Techniques Workshop in Bloomington, Indiana. The workshop brought together for the first time 50 geoscience data preservation specialists from state and federal geological surveys, and it provided a venue for the participants to share best management practices of sample and data preservation, cataloging, and accessibility. The Proceedings volume consists of the workshop agenda, abstracts and pdfs of the oral and poster presentations, a list of attendees, and a photo album of the two days' events. The Proceedings have been issued as Indiana Geological Survey Open-File Series 09-13. The AASG/USGS Geoscience Data Preservation Techniques Workshop proceedings.
Further Resources / Background
- Showstack, R., 2014, Geological Data Preservation Program Receives Bipartisan Support: Eos, vol. 95, no. 39, pp. 350-351.
- Steinmetz, John C. and Dickinson, Tamara L., 2007, Data Preservation: Old Samples Produce New Knowledge: American Geological Institute Geotimes, vol. 52, no. 3, p. 7.
- Association of American State Geologists, 2007, Data Preservation: Association of American State Geologists Position Paper
- American Geological Institute, 2003, Implementation and Operation of the Repository, submitted to the Office of Fossil Energy, U.S. Department of Energy, 42 p.
- Office of Management and Budget, 2002, Coordination of Geographic Information and Related Spatial Data Activities: Office of Management and Budget Circular No. A-16 Revised
- National Research Council, 2002, Geoscience Data and Collections—National Resources in Peril: Washington, D.C., National Academies Press, 107 p.
- American Geological Institute,1998, National Geosciences Data Repository System Phase II; Final Report, January 30, 1995 to January 28, 1997: Performed Under Grant No. DE-FG22-95BC14833, Submitted to the Office of Fossil Energy, U.S. Department of Energy, 119 p.